This Grenadian Stuffed Breadfruit recipe is taken from our Smallest Countries Worldwide Cuisines page. For more delicious recipes like this one, with huge palate appeal from tiny countries, click here.
Grenadian Stuffed Breadfruit is a national specialty dish in this little country. Breadfruits (sometimes called “Jackfruits”) are huge, averaging about the same size as an American football. They can be eaten raw as fruits, but also can be stuffed – with many different kinds of foods, most often, in Grenada, some kind of meat – and cooked for a main course dish. This recipe calls for stuffing the breadfruit with meat, but, if you are vegetarian, feel free to substitute cooked beans, rice, soy-based foods, etc.
Grenadian Stuffed Breadfruit Recipe-
- 16 oz. ground beef, very lean (less than 10% fat)
- 2 tbs. Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine.
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 fresh, ripe breadfruit
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the top (stemmed end) 1/4 of the breadfruit off, using a sharp knife and cutting at a slight angle. Keep the stemmed piece, this will be a “lid” for the stuffing during baking.
- Peel the skin plus about 1/8″ of the flesh off the fruit’s outsides. The outer 1/8″ of flesh is not as tasty as the deeper flesh.
- Now scoop out the interior flesh, leaving about 1/2″ to 3/4″ thickness of flesh all around.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the ground beef in the cooking oil with the chopped onion and garlic.
- When the meat starts turning brown, add in the tomato paste, Jerk seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Now stuff the breadfruit cavity with the cooked and seasoned beef mixture, replace the stem “lid” and place the fruit, stem up, on a baking pan.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the fruit feels tender when poked with a fork.
- To serve your Meat Stuffed Breadfruit, scoop the baked stuffing out and place it on a serving platter. Then chop the fruit’s flesh up into bite-sized chunks and mound the chunks next to the stuffing on the platter.
- Grenadian Stuffed Breadfruit can also be made using pork meat and any type of fish that has a flaky texture when cooked. For vegetarians, consider high protein substitutes, like falafel, tofu, tempeh, or also beans and rice mixtures. But for true Grenadian Stuffed Breadfruit taste, use the Jamaican Jerk seasoning and the rest of the other ingredients.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)