Ah, the marvelously yummy and satisfying Grandmas Meatloaf I had so often as a boy, teenager, and young adult. My Grandma made the best meatloaf I’ve ever had, during all my years of life. And I’ve lived long and tasted many a meatloaf. But folks, it just doesn’t get any better than this, my Grandmas Meatloaf.
Grandmas Meatloaf Recipe-
- 1-½ lb. lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, uncooked (not quick-cook oats, regular rolled oats)
- 1/4 onion, minced
- ½ cup ketchup, divided
- 2 tbsp. fresh ground horseradish, divided
- 2 tbsp. whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. French’s yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1½ Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- In a bowl combine ground beef with oats, onion, half the ketchup, ½ tbsp. horseradish, milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Shape into loaf. Place on a lightly greased rack in a roasting pan; bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Combine remaining ketchup and horseradish with brown sugar and mustard. Spoon mixture over meatloaf; bake another 15 minutes or until thermometer registers 160 degrees. Remove from oven; let rest a few minutes before slicing.
- Grandmas Meatloaf is best served with side dishes of steamed green beans, and roasted garlic mashed potatoes.