Turkey TexMex Stew with Barley is sumptuous, rich and hearty. It also is a great way to use up leftover turkey after traditional American Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday meals.
Turkey TexMex Stew with Barley Recipe-
For the Stew-
- 4 cups cooked turkey meat, shredded
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup rough chopped yellow onion
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and crosscut into 1/4″ thick half moon slices
- 2 tbsp. dark chili powder
- 2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. dried cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 10.5 oz. canned condensed tomato soup
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 1 cup fire roasted Mexican red salsa
- 14 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- corn tortilla chips, crushed
- shredded cheese (Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or Pepper-jack are recommended)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy duty skillet over medium high flame. Add in the chopped garlic and onions and sauté until softened and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add and stir in the dark chili powder, cumin, thyme, cilantro and oregano, and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Now add and stir in the chicken broth, condensed tomato soup, diced tomatoes, salsa, shredded turkey, and crushed bouillon cubes.
- Bring the mixture to a vigorous, rolling boil, then reduce heat to just a lively simmer, and add in the barley. Cook at a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until barley is partially softened.
- Add and stir in the black beans, corn, jalapenos, carrots and sour cream, add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve your Turkey TexMex Stew with Barley while nice and hot, with any or all of the condiments listed above.
Note: This is just one of many recipes, taken from our All-American TexMex Cuisine pages!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)