This Chicken Casserole Moroccan Style is one of the more unusual and yet remarkably tasty chicken casseroles I’ve experienced. The use of lemons as well as the bed of “cauliflower rice” really makes it a memorable dish. Very tasty, unique texture, and super healthy for you too!
Chicken Casserole Moroccan Style Recipe-
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2-3 pounds of chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. harissa paste (very important ingredient for authentic Moroccan flavor)
- 2 tablespoons grated or finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick slices
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried and ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. dried and crushed cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, de-seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 28-ounce can of diced fire roasted tomatoes (don’t drain)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Make your cauliflower rice first. Chop the head of cauliflower into small florets. Push the florets through a food processor using the grating blade (if you have one, if not, you can use a hand grater).
- Spread the grated cauliflower rice out in a lightly oiled 9×13 baking pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a deep, large fry pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over high heat. Add the chicken, brown the pieces well, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Once well browned, remove the chicken from the pan and set them aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the carrots, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add in the remaining tablespoon of butter and all of the spices. Stir and blend well. Next, add the minced cilantro, salt, the whole can of tomatoes (and all the juices) and the sliced red bell pepper. Return the chicken to the mix and let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- You are almost ready to bake the casserole. Pour the chicken mixture over the cauliflower rice and mix everything together thoroughly, you want the cauliflower to be completely blended with and saturated through by the sauce. Take your lemon and slice it very thinly, and lay the sliced atop the casserole.
- If your casserole dish does not have a cover, use tin foil to cover it, and bake for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes, remove the lid or tinfoil and let it bake for another 25 minutes.
When you serve your Chicken Casserole Moroccan Style, heap a nice portion of the cauliflower rice on the plate, add a piece of chicken on top, and garnish with a slice of lemon. It should smell fragrant and enticing, and look very appealing!
Note: For more delicious, authentic and traditional recipes from Morocco, click here.